Skip to main content

The ‘Thinker’ hat of mine

On the verge of being overwhelmed writing my PhD thesis, I decided to go for a short writing retreat in Berwick upon Tweed. I enjoyed the quiet environment of the small town and wished I could prolong that period. It was hard to believe when I got the news after coming back from Berwick- yes I have been awarded SGSAH’s thinker in residency to work on something related to my PhD research for three weeks at Deveron Arts based in Huntly. Looking closely at the map of Huntly in Google earth, I knew no other place can be more appropriate for PhD ‘thinking’ for three weeks. This report is an account of my experiences in Huntly in those three weeks and also my reflections on that experience.

Week 1_Settling down and setting the expectations

I was welcomed by Sophie, Intern at Deveron Arts and my room-mate for next three weeks at the train station. Though the Google-map said that the house was really close to the train station but I could not imagine how close it was. In fact, nothing in Huntly is far rightly said by Josh, the project manager at Deveron Arts who I met on the next day. During the first week, I discussed with Claudia, Director of Deveron Arts about my goal for the three weeks, what was expected from me and also what I could expect from Deveron Arts that would be helpful in my present research. Though I wrote a proposal (to explore children’s perception of aesthetics related to landscape elements) while applying for the residency, I was reassured that this residency (just like artist in residence) is designed to help PhD students at advanced level of studies to make progress in the work staying in an environment away from their day to day one. I could carry on the writing I was doing or I could work on the proposal I sent. I found Deveron Arts inspired by the philosophy of Patrick Geddes, making their activities local engaging community people which inspired me to explore children’s perception of aesthetics in the context of Huntly. Josh helped me contact the local primary school so that I ccould talk with some children and learn their favourite places and activities (which I could compare to my findings researching with primary school children in Bangladesh and find the similarities and differences in children’s perceptions in different culture and context). I also started studying on perception of aesthetics, development of aesthetics in young children and its relation to stress recovery which would be used to update the literature review of my PhD thesis.
Researching the web resources of Deveron Arts, I had an idea of their activities. However, being there was a different experience. Unlike the post graduate research study space in the university where I work as an isolated self, I became the part of a family. Deveron Arts is a family who cares to spend time together once a week with all the members of the family and also the members of the extended family, the community. The day is generally Friday when the people from the local community were invited to have lunch together with the Deveron Arts family cooked by a member and listen to the lecture of a guest speaker or artist at minimal price. I shared my research on Friday, at the end of the first week with the members of Deveron Arts and some people from the local community. It generated a lively discussion and the comments were valuable for my research. The experience in the stitch share event is also worth sharing where we learnt to embroider and worked on a peace flag for the white wood project. I admit I could never think of doing embroidery sitting in a small village in UK, but doing something out of comfort zone was rewarding in many other ways.
Farmer’s market on Saturday and afterwards the training walk for slow marathon gave me the opportunity to meet some local people in Huntly. Other than climbing tp the top of Arthur’s Seat, this was my first experience of walking through the forest.

Week 2_Writing one Chapter of my PhD thesis

During the second week, I worked mostly from my room on the first floor of 51 Old Road overlooking the hills far far away. I am currently in the writing stage of my PhD and I took this opportunity to give the writing a boost. I worked on a chapter of my PhD in the morning, had lunch at office with other colleagues and spent the afternoon reading the literature on children’s perception of aesthetics. While Josh was away for a seminar, I was able to work in the best corner of the office overlooking the Brander gardens which we would be designing the coming week.
I think, now its time to introduce other colleagues in Deveron Arts- Rachel with whom I shared an office was an alumni from Edinburgh College of Art and Omar, an artist in residence. Besides being a folk musician, Omar is a wonderful cook living in the same house with me and Sophie. He cooked a traditional Moroccan dish for us one night- Tazin (most probably) and couscous. He played Gimbri and danced Moroccan folk dance. We talked about art, music, politics and what not while enjoying Moroccan dishes. I promised Sophie and Omar that I would cook traditional Bangladeshi meal for them.
I explored most of Huntly during these two weeks. I generally went out for a run in the morning. I tried to take a different route every day, therefore explored almost all the nooks and cronies of Huntly. The walking guide from Deveron Arts was very helpful to find the potential routes. My favourite route was from the castle street towards the castle and then running alongside the Deveron river past Huntly outdoor centre. On Friday night we attended a short bread launching ceremony at Scottish Sculpture Workshop. I have been living in Edinburgh for about three years, but I first danced Ceilidh on that night at Lumsden.

Week 3_Seminar, Friday Lunch and Workshop

The last week was intense as I could only spend three days of that week in Huntly. I attended the seminar ‘Living the Land’ where I came across many artists working in rural areas of Scotland in diverse fields. I was able to learn a bit more about the activities of Creative Scotland and how they support the artists. In many areas architects, landscape architects and artists work together in projects for children’s benefits. I have had useful conversations with many participants, though not directly related to my PhD research, gave me an exposure to art works based on the land we are living in for which as a landscape architecture student I do have interest.
I cooked traditional Bangladeshi meal for lunch on the last Friday of my residency where my husband Sheik Rana, a song writer by profession shared his song writing journey in Lunch talk accompanied with some Bangla music played by him. Followed by the lunch I conducted the workshop on designing the Brander gardens with members of Deveron Arts and also some locals. We identified the landscape elements which are liked by the users, not so liked (or needed improvement) and then brainstormed how the garden can be improved. This workshop was an attempt to find out the positive aspects of the landscape which the local community could utilize for creating a better community space.

 

What I achieved and what I did not achieve

These three weeks exposed myself to new information related to artist practices in UK , how my research is related to so many disciplines and how I can improve in my approached to future research based on that. At the same time I made some progress in my core research work. It would have been really helpful if I could have acted more local and gathered some information on children’s experiences in Huntly.

 

Things worth considering

Such an opportunity is desired by any PhD student to make progress on research. However, it would be more beneficial to both the parties if there would be more time for preparation and also setting the expectation before getting in there. I did not get the opportunity to talk to the children, as the teachers were having a busy time before the school holydays which might have been possible if we could have contacted them earlier.

Having a definite achievable goal would help the researcher to make the most of those three weeks. However, one needs to be flexible enough to receive new information and also adapt to the new situation. And the most important thing is to enjoy and not be overwhelmed with expectations.




My heartfelt apologies for the delay in sending the report and also not being able to complete the peace flag.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Planning breaks during your PhD

When I started my PhD here people told everything about work during the PhD like working long hours or even during week end, working hard during the Government Holidays when even the school office is closed and access is limited to the University... bla bla. The thing that I never heard of is planning a break during this long journey. So I took it for granted that I am married to the PhD for this three years and should not think of anything else. But soon I became tired, started nagging with my husband for holidays and at one time I freaked out. It was just after three months during Christmas. Me and my husband were not really used to the idea of planning the breaks long before and found it impossible to go somewhere as the ticket prices were untouchable at the moment. So I got rotten at home for those few days of vacation. I carried loads of books to home which remained untouched until the day when the school reopened. I am from a country where people generally don't plan

Patha Bhavana, Shantiniketan_ More than 100 years of outdoor learning practice

Patha Bhavana   ( Bengali :   পাঠ ভবন ) is an institution of primary and secondary education in   Santiniketan ,   West Bengal ,   India . It was founded by   Nobel laureate Poet   Rabindranath Tagore   in 1901 with only five students which later grew into   Visva-Bharati University . The school is established based on the philosophy of learning being in nature with close connection to it without any superficial barriers between teachers and students. It was opposed to the mainstream classroom learning system based on the books only. It’s often referred to as an   ashram   system where the teacher is guru and teaches his or her disciples sitting in the shade of a tree. It is one of the two primary and secondary school affiliated with the Visva-Bharati University; the other being   Shiksha Satra . Patha Bbhavana is established for children from class I to class XII. Generally in the schools in Indian subcontinent children remain in the classrooms. The teacher moves from one

Review: Outdoor Environmental Education Research Seminar 2016

I attended the Outdoor Environmental Education Research Seminar 2016 at Broomlee Outdoor Education Centre from 13-15 April 2016 organized by the PhD students based in Moray House School of Education, the University of Edinburgh. Different people have different interests and they pick different things from a seminar or talk. This is my account of what I learnt from the Seminar which might not be the same as other participants. However, I enjoyed these three days to the fullest and would like the conversation to be continued. Based on my perceptions I grouped my learnings under several headings- impact of outdoor environment, teachers' perceptions, research methods, learning for sustainability, policy impact, publishing research and outdoor activities. Figure  1 : I enjoyed the food in Broomlee Outdoor Education Centre- they kept in mind individual choices and preferences Impact of outdoor environment- Matluba Khan, Aristea Kyrikou, Jamie Hamilton Me and Jamie explore